Friday, July 10, 2020

143. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle




L’Engle, Madeleine. AWrinkle in Time. New York, NY: Square Fish, 1962, Print.

232 pages

Reviewed by Jess d'Artagnan Love

A Wrinkle in Time is a classic in young adult/children’s science fiction. It tells the story of Meg, her younger brother, and a friend as they travel through space and time to try and locate their missing father. The book is heavy handed on Christian themes, and quite obscure and abstract in certain parts. I’m glad I read this as an adult and not a child. Had I read it as a child, it would have all been muddy and confusing to me.

I am generally not a big sci-fi fan but something about how l’Engle crafted this story made it feel cozy rather than technical. The characters were lovable and I especially loved Charles Wallace, Meg’s younger brother. The world building was difficult to process. I am not well-versed in quantum physics and this book is thick in it. In order to really enjoy the book I had to just let go of my wish to actually understand how things were happening and just experience the story as a story.

All in all, I enjoyed reading the book and found the ending touching but I don’t foresee reading this again in the future.   

Would I read it again? 

No

Recommended for

I’m not entirely sure, honestly. It doesn’t read like “true” sci-fi but it also isn’t really a fairy tale.

Not Recommended for

Readers who need clarity or are uncomfortable swimming in abstractions.

3.5 stars out of 5

Madeleine l’Engle’s website: https://www.madeleinelengle.com/

Madeleine l’Engle on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/106.Madeleine_L_Engle

 

Connect with me!

Instagram

Twitter

Facebook

Youtube

Goodreads

 


No comments: