Saturday, September 12, 2020

146. The Christian Homemaker's Handbook by Pat Ennis and Dorothy Kelley Patterson

 

Ennis, Pat, & Kelley Patterson, Dorothy. TheChristian Homemaker’s Handbook. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2013. Print.

 522 pages

 Reviewed by Jess d'Artagnan Love

The Christian Homemaker’s Handbook is a collection of essays exploring homemaking from a Christian perspective. The book is broken up into sections: design for the home, the value of children, foundations for parenting, the practical aspects of establishing a home, meal prep, and clothing. Each section is framed from a Christian perspective using Biblical references. The writers take a holistic approach to homemaking seeing the home as more than just a physical space but as a place to nurture ourselves spiritually. While men can also be homemakers, this book seems to target just women.

I found most of this book really interesting. I identify as a Christian, but did not always agree with some of the perspectives in the chapters. I liked exploring the home as a foundation for one’s mental and spiritual health. I also found the practical advice in the book helpful because they’re things that I was never taught and I’m having to learn on my own as I grow in my own housekeeping and homemaking skills. Some chapters were just not relevant to me being one who doesn’t have children, but I can see how those parts could be useful for new or expecting mothers.

This book will stay on my bookshelf and I will refer to it frequently. Not only does it have good information, but it gives me such food for thought that I enjoy revisiting the essays as I continue to build my little homestead.  

Would I read it again? 

Yes

Recommended for

Christians looking to learn how to maintain a home physically, socially, and spiritually.

Not Recommended for

Non-Christian readers may find this irrelevant to their lives.

3 stars out of 5

To purchase this book from my bookstore: https://bookshop.org/a/11656/9781433528385

 

Connect with me!

Instagram

Twitter

Facebook

Youtube

Goodreads

Chrysalis Books Storefront

 

No comments: